HOLIDAYS START AT THE FRONT DOOR
Maumee, OHIO, (November 11, 2011) - Homeowners can help their families and guests get in the holiday spirit right at the front door. Since many people view their entryway as a sign of the quality of their home, the holidays are the ideal time to show it off. A festive holiday entry can be the home’s focal point and serve as a first impression for both its interior and exterior.
Experts at Therma-Tru® Corp., the nation’s most preferred brand of fiberglass and steel exterior door systems, offer tips for creating a warm and inviting entryway during the holidays:
Hanging Seasonal Decorations:
Accessorizing Your Doorway:
- Consider a twig wreath adorned with greens, gourds or berries
- Design a heart-shaped wreath with miniature pine cones and dye them a brilliant shade of red
- Mount an evergreen wreath or swag with glass ornaments or silver bells
- Create a wreath with magnolia leaves and fresh fruit such as pears, apples and pomegranates
- If you have a rustic style home, consider adding antlers, a cowboy hat or rope to your wreath
- For a coastal home, consider a wreath of woven sea grass with sea shells or a brightly painted life preserver with lights and decorative glass floats
- If your door doesn’t merit all the attention, consider wrapping it in bright paper with a large bow or framing it in lights
- Hang a set of sleigh bells on the door knob, which will give a festive jingle every time guests pass through
Painting Your Door:
- Frame your entryway with a garland and lights - add bows or pine cones for more decorative detail
- Place pots or urns planted with seasonal greenery, poinsettias and lights on either side of the doorway
- Put out a welcome mat designed with holiday accents
- Add new brass or nickel accents such as a kick plate, porch lights and a door knocker to dress up your door
- Hang matching wreaths in all of the windows
- If it's not yet too cold to paint outdoors, brighten up your door with a fresh coat of red paint or a strong color that provides contrast to your current color scheme. Made especially to accept paint, Therma-Tru® Classic-Craft® Canvas Collection™ entry doors feature a smooth surface that’s ideal for adding custom color to the home.
When decorating, be careful to protect your door. Avoid putting a nail in the face of the door, as this can lead to damage in the future and could void your door warranty from the original manufacturer. Instead, use a door hanger to hang the wreath from the door knocker, or place a tack on the top of the door frame and use clear fishing line to hang the wreath.
In addition to these simple design tips, you may also want to consider taking advantage of this opportunity to update your entryway with a new, energy-efficient door system.Fiberglass continues to grow in popularity with homeowners because the doors are easy to maintain and will withstand a wide range of temperatures and weather elements such as strong winds, high-humidity and frequent rain.
Energy-efficient fiberglass entry doors from Therma-Tru® offer four times the insulation of wood and won’t rot, crack or split like wood doors, or dent, rust or corrode like steel doors. The doors are ENERGY STAR® qualified, providing excellent thermal protection and comfort for your family and holiday house guests.
As an added value, homeowners who purchase and install certain styles of Therma-Tru doors may be eligible for a federal tax credit of up to $500 per household when completing the door replacement project by the end of 2011. For additional information on the federal government's 2011 tax credits available to homeowners, visit www.EnergyStar.gov/TaxCredit and www.MyEnergyTax.com.
Therma-Tru is the nation’s leading manufacturer and most preferred brand of fiberglass and steel exterior door systems. Founded in 1962, Therma-Tru pioneered the fiberglass entry door industry, and today offers a complete portfolio of entry and patio door system solutions, including decorative glass doorlites, sidelites and transoms, and door components. The company also offers low-maintenance Fypon urethane and PVC products. Headquartered in Maumee, Ohio, Therma-Tru is part of leading consumer brands company Fortune Brands Inc. (NYSE: FO). For more information, visit www.thermatru.com, www.fypon.com or call (800) 537-8827.